It seems there are people that will pay good money for almost any experience. Below is the itinerary for a truffle hunting vacation getaway in France. Note the price of $1190 USD per person with a $450 supplement for single occupancy. This is for a two night stay including food and wine pairing, the truffle hunt and a 2 hour cooking class.
Of course truffles, at $1,000 a pound and more, are among the most expensive foods in the world. They are used in many recipes but, but most common with pasta or eggs. The truffle is a member of the fungus family, but is a very distant cousin to the mushroom. They grow underground usually attached to oak tree stumps. Pigs and dogs are often used to sniff them out. That would be fun to see.
So as a tourism operator, look for something unusual or unique that you can build an experience around. As an individual, if you want to try a unique experience, this may be for you.
– Afternoon private transfer from Valence TGV station to the property (about one hour drive) Check-in at Villa Kaza and relaxing before sharing an aperitif.
– Food & wine pairing dinner at the property.
– Overnight at Villa Kaza.
DAY 2 (Saturday) : Morning Truffles market / Afternoon Truffles Hunting / Evening Cooking Class celebrating the black truffles
– Breakfast at Kaza.
– Food market visit with the chef in the village of Richerenches to experience the truffles.
– An aperitif at Jeanot’s café follows. Lunch at a wine property in Richerenches.
– Afternoon truffles hunting for one hour, starting at 3:00pm. With the dog, the farmer will hunt the truffles under the oak trees.
– Back to Kaza at 4:30pm to relax before attending a truffles cooking class under Chef Elisabeth direction.
– Cooking class starts at 5:00pm for two hours.
– Truffles gourmet dinner accompanied by wine follows.
– Overnight at the property.DAY 3 (Sunday) : Morning check-out / Visit to Nyons olive grove & mill and to the northern Provence hilltop villages / Late afternoon transfer to Paris by TGV
– Morning breakfast at Kaza.
– We check-out at 10:00am.
– On the way back to Valence, we drive through Nyons to visit an olives grove and a mill in activity. Olives are harvested in winter, from November through March, and the oil is produced at the same period.
– Lunch break in Nyons before driving to Valence train station through the quaint hilltop villages of Saint Paul Trois Chateaux and La Garde Adhémar
• Private round-trip transfer from Valence, France TGV station, ground transportation by car during the 3 days, 2 nights accommodation at luxury Villa Kaza, home-made breakfasts, welcome food & wine pairing dinner on arrival
• Truffles cooking classes followed by dinner on Saturday evening, Richerenches truffles market visit with the chef on Saturday morning followed by an aperitif at Jeanot (l’Escapade restaurant)
• Saturday lunch at a wine property followed by the unique truffles hunting with the dog, and by a wines tasting at the chateau.
• On Sunday after checking-out, private drive to Nyons to visit an olives grove and mill.
• Lunch break in Nyons.
• Afternoon drive to Valence through the hilltop villages of Saint Paul Trois Chateaux and La Garde Adhémar.
• Airfare to/from the USA and France, the TGV Paris-Valence, France round-trip, personal expenses and personal insurance.
This program is available for a minimum of 2 participants and it’s limited to 4 persons. Due to limited available, we strongly recommend to secure your reservation at least 3 months in advance.